Saturday, February 21, 2009

What happened to the coyote?

I actually wished he would catch
that roadrunner
for all the mean
things he did to the poor coyote
who was just looking for dinner.
That, my friends, was good, clean
family entertainment. Wile E.
never died while falling from
cliffs, being smashed with boulders,
burned to a crisp, and run over
by trains in the middle of nowhere.
He was just a cartoon, silly!
BEEP! BEEP!


I used to watch the
Bugs Bunny Roadrunner Show nearly
every Saturday morning without fail.
This show began broadcast in 1960
on the ABC network, on Tuesdays,
and moved to Saturday mornings
in 1962. As I was born in 1969,
many children enjoyed this show
long before I was around to eat
my sugar corn pops while watching
Elmer try to kill the "wabbit". It's not like
anyone has lived a "real" kill-the-wabbit
situation...except this guy. He WAS
only trying to save his home!

There was a time during my childhood
when a few groups of concerned people
protested violence in cartoons and
kid shows. These groups were, pretty
much, scoffed at and light was made
of their concerns. The games of
today's generation
far
surpass any violence in cartoons that
may have warped my sense of humor
and caused trauma to young minds.
I feel that the (conceivably)
violent nature of these shows
did not make me want to hurt
my brothers as much as their
annoying ways of eating at my
nerves (coupled with loads of
chocolate-frosted sugar bombs).
We all knew they contained a secret
ingredient
that won the
"space race" - right?
Not ONCE did I push my siblings off a
cliff or blow them up (although close
with the blowing up). All of this
entertainment was taken in lightly -
realizing the coyote would be dead
if he were real. Good show, Bugs!
There are fewer cartoons on TV
for Saturday morning, now, as
if our children don't need this
form of simple, mindless
entertainment.
Violence may, or may not, be
instilled in kids from these bloody
games on the market, but the
biggest difference I see is that
they just aren't funny.
I think I'll order an ACME
Tornado kit to show the kids
what entertainment is all about.


6 opinionated prattle:

Stan Harrington said...

Beep-Beep, what a great cartoon duo, almost as good as Martin and Lewis or the Smother Brothers. The roadrunner was one of my favorites. Their cartoons would often lead in the main attraction following the "News Reel" at the theater where I would go each Saturday at a cost of a dime in the early 1950's. When TV came to our area, we finally got to watch them at home, what a marvelous electronic achievement. Imagine seeing moving pictures in your home! The "Roadrunner" even launch a very popular model of the automobile which would also go "beep - beep" by depressing the horn. I would guess that ACME would likely qualify for a "bailout" today under Stimulus I or II, although the company may be a very good stock market investment if they can pick up a few military contracts. I understand North Korea would use a little technical cooperation in the design, construction and launching of explosives. Let's make the Coyote a Ambassador to North Korea.

Stan Harrington said...

I won again and even on different site! What did I win Plumma?

Anonymous said...

The first five people to respond to this post will get something made by me! my choice. for you. this offer does have some restrictions and limitations:
1. I make no guarantees that you will like what I make!
2. what I create will be just for you.
3. it’ll be done this year. {translation: you may be waiting a little while}
4. you have no clue what it’s going to be … it may be cards, a poem, a bookmark, something yummy or a complete surprise to you (and me!) … who knows? not you, that’s for sure!
5. i reserve the right to do something extremely strange.
6. most importantly, you must offer the same deal on your blog - the first 5 people to comment on your blog (or if you do not have a blog, facebook) get something made by YOU! the first 5 people to do so and leave a comment telling me they did win a FAB-U-LOUS homemade gift by me

john r mclay said...

If a commenter dares not show their name or blog, I will just make something for my Mom.

john r mclay said...

@ O
=>=
\_/

Stan Harrington said...

How did that paragraph appear on your blog after you posted and show again in your remarks? Hmmm, someone is "tinkering"?

Post a Comment

If you feel the incessant urge,
and your tongue is sharp and quick,
leave a worthless thought for me
whether cool, or fun, or sick.

Web Site Hit Counter