Thursday, January 11, 2007

Link it anyway - my peeve


There comes a time (or, times) when linking a web page or fellow blogger should be considered not only a matter of courtesy, but almost necessity. Imagine how many times I've linked the Prattler ( you're welcome, Stan) - each time, viewers hitting his web page through reading mine. Being linked is like getting all of your hits PLUS theirs. Not being linked is like, as a baby, having your drink poured out. It could definitly make sparks.
For example, if I mentioned Mike Shelton and his cartoons, I would link his name to his work out of professional courtesy - and his site would get hit (at least by those who check links). He would, definitely, appreciate this much respect at the least. Mermaids would, of course, get the same consideration. If the subject(s) of a blog are not researched - and listed - properly, something could be missing. We are talking global here! Not everyone blogs for breakfast, but we can show the balls to link the co-blogs mentioned on our site to keep others linking us. It would be a sad state of blogging to not know how to add links, and, should that be you - ask for help. The bull won't run you over if you grab the horns.
Another example is how I would link the NOAA weather station when posting their info on my page:

05:53 AM AKST Thursday January 11
14°F
Pressure: 30.30" falling (1026.2 mb)
RelHum: 84%
Skies: Cloudy
Winds: N at 5 mph

Remember to link those of who you prattle lest their linking you should quit
(you can even edit and link-it-later)
-and blog about me-

7 opinionated prattle:

Stan Harrington said...

What is "linking"? Is that where you underline a word, I do that on occasion but I prefer to bold face them to make my point. My system does not have a button that says anything about linking? I research, then through the unbiased opinions that I form, I report those opinions. If those opinions are not accepted, then the reader can do the research ont he same subject and form there own opinion. Some subject and news sources are meant to be kept a secret by the writer, you know the term "reliable source". I do appreciate your referrals - keep up the good work. I have to go plow and put an extra "link" in my tire chains and tow chain, I may need them today.

Stan Harrington said...

I did click on your NOAA weather station. I might suggest that you go to www.arh.noaa.gov/ and you will get a much better weather report. When arriving at the Alaska map, click on the area that you want to see and it will give you a very detailed weather report. On the sidebar of the home page, click on "Radar" and it will show you the doppler radar sites for the entire state. The doppler is constantly refreshed, loads fast, normally when you look a the radar reading, check the time and you can predict within 5 - 10 minutes of when you can expect it to start snowing or raining at your location. I leave it on my favorite list and check it several times each day, my life revolves around doppler. Hope you appreciate this useful "link". Prior to driving to LA, I check it and can tell instantly what to expect in regards to road conditions, it has never let me down. Great site!

john r mclay said...

many words - much idle time - diagnosis : prattle

Heidi said...

How to Link

Heidi said...

Shana are you paying attention?

john r mclay said...

Shana? SHHAAANNNAAAAAH! Did you fall in a link? I think we need to "ground" mail her to see if she's still with us.

Stan Harrington said...

I just did a blog, which I did not post and will not post because I used "linking". It was my typical verbose prattling blog with links regarding the concept of Global Warming. When I completed it, I reviewed it, by the time I read the blog, visited each of the "link sites" and waited for all the pictures to download - 6.5 hours had elapsed out of my working evening. Was it my verboseness or the down time for the links to come up that killed the clock? Of course, this is not a true test because my rotary dial telephone modem is not as fast as thos enew fangle touch tone phone modems.

Post a Comment

If you feel the incessant urge,
and your tongue is sharp and quick,
leave a worthless thought for me
whether cool, or fun, or sick.

Web Site Hit Counter