Sunday, June 25, 2006

We got some today!








Our two youngest HAD to catch some tadpoles, today, on our short trip to Goose Lake. They had seen some kids catching them last week, and couldn't stand it that they could not catch them.



We could have brought home some dragonfly nymphs, but, we knew they would have to fly sooner than later - decided "NO".

We, now, have ten tadpoles in our 23 gal. aquarium - small lilypads, lake sand, and lake water in the new environment. We'll have to take many pics of the stages!


9 opinionated prattle:

Princess Sarah said...

Happy Belated Birthday! sorry I missed it hope you had a good day

Stan Harrington said...

Collecting tadpoles is fun, I use to do it as a kid. When Shane was little, he collected some and I set up an aquariam for him, even bought some food for them. The only quanities that we good get it at the Wagon Wheel was 50 pound bags, I still have some left over, like 49 pounds if you can use it for your project.

Stan Harrington said...

P.S. I also have a very good, original southern recipe for cooking "frog legs", it is a little Cajun for my taste but if you cut back onthe the tobasco sauce it is pretty good. You will want to marinate them overnight before putting onthe bbq. what the hell is oxrkqgzv?

john r mclay said...

Already introducing soy to their little ecosystem - increasing the mix as they grow.

Heidi said...

hmmm ...when shane was little??? I didn't know they had a "Wagon Wheel" down in Colorado!

Shana said...

well I hope these dudes dont end up as big as the "tad poles" you helped my boys get in Othello....who would have though a bull frog baby gets to be 12 inches long!!! We had 10!!!

john r mclay said...

Us McLay boys caught 6 rather large frogs when we were little - out East End Rd. - that were almost 12" in length. Turned out to be egg-layers that were full of prattle.

Stan Harrington said...

If you want to havge alot of fun and really entertain my granddaugthters, as the little "poles" start to get bigger and turn into little froggies and give them each names. Then go out to Sand Lake, catch a watersnake and put it in with the frogs, then the girls will be able to see how fast they can swim. It will provide hours of ewntertainment for all of you. Run froggie run - oops, not fast enough and there goes "Jumpy The Frog". You can even get some side bets going on which "Froggie" will b enext onthe menu. I think a good name for one of the frogs would be bauvii, that means green ion Navajo.

Stan Harrington said...

A 12 inch frog! When I was a little boy in Colorado, I caught a frog in the irrigation canal that weighed 12 pounds! When I cleaned him for my mother to cook, I found a six inch Brook Trout in his stomach, along with a 24 Inch Rainbow Trout. Both of them were in perfect condition, it was a great meal, home fryed frog legs, trout, fried tators, and turnip greens. Don't get no better than that but that was back in the good old days.

Post a Comment

If you feel the incessant urge,
and your tongue is sharp and quick,
leave a worthless thought for me
whether cool, or fun, or sick.

Web Site Hit Counter