Thursday, April 27, 2006

Only one quirk left?...


Our "foster computer" seems to function OK, now - with the exception of one ccAPP.exe error believed to be part of Symantec software. All updates are current for XP - have run CCleaner, Ad-aware, Spybot S&D, CW Shredder, and numerous others (Registry cleaner, etc.). The Windows registry cleaner found about 500 errors in registry files, but would repair only 15 of them with the free version (how much would YOU spend to clean a 4 year old OS?). OS disc could prove useful in attempting to repair some of the issues (or, said issues). How could this work so well with 500 errors in the registry? You would think that could be enough to shut it down, but I suppose XP is extremely tolerant of abuse (unlike ME 's lock-up performance(s)). The only concern I have is vulnerability on-line. All MS updates are current to THEIR standards and the system restarts without showing the ccAPP.exe image error.
I have had a game of solitaire open for the past week. Due to the fact that I kept it around $1000, I've had no desire to return the machine to it's rightful home. My game dropped below $800 last night, and, maybe, it's telling me that it wants it's Mommy - regardless of the abuse it has endured.
Now, if I could just fix my old ME tower....but that might take an act of God.

6 opinionated prattle:

HOMER said...

It lives again? If that is true you are a god to the kids, they are missing their toy. It doesn't matter though because it's not going on line until they are willing to pay for their own internet. Thank you for fixing it.

Stan Harrington said...

My god, you sound like a real "dunker", that is a compliment because Heidi is just a "dinker" but both of you are so good at "tinkering" that perhaps we should all send our old systems to you for a little "dinkering", do you think you could "tinker" with my old MS DOS system and get my 5.25 floppy drive to work again?

Stan Harrington said...

Perhaps it because of my "dreprived childhood" and the trauma that I have had to overcome because of the loss of my first wagon as a chid, compounded further by being labeled as a "Tissy, Tissy Tight Ass" because of the loss of that special wagon. It was brand new, red, top of line and I never had a chance to use it - it was destroyed by my brothers. That was the only wagon of my childhood, I had to wait for 55 years to get another wagon, then it was "destroyed" before my eyes by three grown men trying to ride it down a four wheel drive road. This traumatic experience has taught me one thing, when you have a piece of equipment to work with, it should only have one operator. A philosophy that I have about my computer, one owner, one operator and you eliminate 98.6 per cent of the problems. I have never had a serious problem with my systems and I use them daily. No tinkering or dinkering around, because if you do not know what you are doing when you dinker then you need to call a dunker!

Shana said...

AMEN father that is why I called the Dunkers....they are so good at dinkering and the tinker my problems away...while I get chores done outside in the beautifull sunshine...

Stan Harrington said...

Btittany - you are still with us - I have missed you! I go to your site every day to check, youhave had a lot of mileage off that one posting! It really should be refreshed! You are a good writer, you should try it more often!

Shana said...

she would be with us even more if they would give her her computer back.....I think they are taking it hostage....

Post a Comment

If you feel the incessant urge,
and your tongue is sharp and quick,
leave a worthless thought for me
whether cool, or fun, or sick.

Web Site Hit Counter