Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Maybe the pussywillows don't know...


I had commented, on Rhapsodic's site, about "the pussywillows know...". I guess they only react - not knowing of our "falspring" as my oldest daughter put it. The willows are sprouting their...well, blossoms and it is only Feb. 15th! They are just little buds for now, but we need to stay around 20*F, or below, to effectively "shock" them back into hibernation 'til later March/early April(typical showing dates). I do remember about 6 - 9 years back when the pussywillows were almost completely seeded before we froze up again - only to shock them back in 'til late May! That was, I believe, degrees in the 40's for weeks. The highway was dry as a cob, sunny weather, snow almost gone, t-shirts and flip flops - FALSPRING! FALSPRING!
I could guess some more about what I know, but, really - what do I know? The pussywillows don't know, either.

3 opinionated prattle:

Heidi said...

I can't wait until I see the first vase of pussywillows on my table....who will get them first...our gilrs? Nope my sweet husband. I think when he gets them he his thinking about his Mom...

john r mclay said...

ok.ok. I used to watch every day for the willows to bud, on the walk from school bus drop-off, to be the first to pick 'em. Mom used to love them and it was good satisfaction. I can't help but think of her.

Shana said...

ahhh how sweet...mamas boy, pussy willows, spring...such a soothing thought. so sweet brother in law of mine...I cant help but notice by usually up beat and happy in-law seems to be turning into a pessimist. Is the winter too long? I worry about you...It has always been John who kept us laughing and our spirits up...alot of work being the pep squad all the time...please cheer up...spring is here maybe not everyday but it deffinatly wont go back to winter for long now.....

Post a Comment

If you feel the incessant urge,
and your tongue is sharp and quick,
leave a worthless thought for me
whether cool, or fun, or sick.

Web Site Hit Counter