I grafted 2 branches to our Parkland apple tree, Sunday, from an old tree on Ambergate Drive. The tree was claimed to be Granny Smith and is 6" at the base. It should have had more pruning and shaping done during it's young growth, but is very healthy. The new branches should be growing in 2-3 weeks. With great luck (research, also) we should have two varieties of apple next year - same tree - that will germinate each other.

Next, will be "other" fruits...



wake me after the last snowfall...

4 opinionated prattle:

Stan Harrington said...

I grafted some of my raspberry bushes last summer with branches from a gooseberry bush, I expect a very good crop of raspygossieberries this year. It is amazing what you can do with grafting. As a kid, my brothr in law had a big orchard, he and his dad did a lot of grafting, they would have several varities of apples on the same tree. I wonder if you could graft a apple branch onto a birch tree?

Heidi said...

I was told most apple trees in AK are graphed onto a crabapple tree roots. I would think it would work...bitch apple what the difference.

john r mclay said...

CRAB apple, Heidi - not b@!#h! BIG difference.

Tabitha-n-AK said...

Hey I just wanted to drop by and say if you need any help with anything while Heidi is gone let me know. Anything really! also I wanted to let you know our prayers are with your family.

Post a Comment

If you feel the incessant urge,
and your tongue is sharp and quick,
leave a worthless thought for me
whether cool, or fun, or sick.

Web Site Hit Counter