Sunday, March 04, 2007

New research development

I have found - over VAST research - meaning(s) for a few of the symbols/characters on my newly acquired blade of choice for HITWRA BBQ! I ran an angle grinder buffing wheel over it until oxides were minimal, then, sharpened it ONLY with a diamond steel tool, finally, sanding the handle with 220 grit and coated it with extra virgin olive oil.As plainly seen, it cleaned up nice - and sharpened VERY well. It only made me bleed from two fingers when I bumped it after sharpening - good carbon steel!

I have emailed a couple of different Chinese translators for hopes of help in the area. The findings are pictured below.

The asterisk (*) character, I find, seems a combination of two symbols meaning -dong- "end of the year" and -sheng- "plant rising from ground". The other two have not been found by my efforts

9 opinionated prattle:

john r mclay said...

No help - no spam, Stan!

Stan Harrington said...

When I first saw it, I had the distinct feeling that something you said and something that I saw was not quite right. Since then I have done a little research - perhaps you are looking in the wrong place. You are assuming China, if my recollection from the time I spent in Japan, at least two of the symbols are Japanese. It did clean up nicely, I never suspected that Extra Virgin Olive Oil could be used for wood finish. Which opens up another thought to ponder of which I have often reflected, How do you tell if a olive is virgin or not? For that matter, all of those expensive Virgin Wool Sweathers, how we know for sure that they did not come off some old Buck that was in the rut?

Stan Harrington said...

You do have patience! I visited several web site, looking at all the Chinese symbols, what a complicated language! So many of them look a like, how do they ever run a spell check? Newedless to say, I do nto have the patience that you demonstrate so you are on your own buddy! If it is a valuable artifact, can we split some of the value between us? When you finish that project, you should be educated. On the wall of your wifes grandparents, there is an inscribed Japanese sword that was removed from an offier in WWII - how it got into the hands of her grandfatehr - I know nothing!!!!!!!!!

john r mclay said...

The sword may be quicker (and more valuable) than any oriental buffet chef's knife.

john r mclay said...

Speaking of Japanese characters, original Japanese writing (Kanji) was borrowed from the Chinese to develop their own writing. Thus, a lot of similarities between some sets of symbols.
http://www.spellingsociety.org/journals/j19/japanese.php

Stan Harrington said...

In my limited research, I did come across the fact that the some of the Chinese symbols are utilized by the Japanese. The sword would be interesting to research, it is complete with the scabbord or whatever they call the sheath that the sword is in. The blade has a lot of inscriptions on it, I was once told that inscriptions on some of these swords is actually the history of the person. It would be a great speciman to research, maybe I can get some pictures for you - just to give you something to do!

john r mclay said...

would probably have to take it to a translator to decipher the stories. The 3,000 (or so) characters I found a few in leave me no clue as to what the other two symbols mean. I think I'll stick to plummin'.

VA said...

In standard mode I would usually seek out some form of abstract personal shoulder wars to find just the right defiantly unique enigmatic purposeful explanation for these symbols. Tonight I can see nothing more than a stamp of the asian company who made the thing. Or that same forementioned companys equivalent to their favorite "Confucius said" style generic fortune cookie insert applied to the blade as a patronizing display of our own idiocy. This being deduced because of the obviously rampant rust, no matter how removed, on the blade itself. Any good self respecting blade manufacturer or artisan would have certainly used a much higher nickle content or some other rust inhibiting method to preserve the integrity of the blade. But it is only a guess of course.

john r mclay said...

TT! It's almost like you make a valid nickle-point of the quality. Plenty of blades made of carbon steel have been around for decades with the right handling and care taken.
This blade was, obviously, forgotten/left out back to rot. The edge I put on it would take someone's head off - or, has it already?

Post a Comment

If you feel the incessant urge,
and your tongue is sharp and quick,
leave a worthless thought for me
whether cool, or fun, or sick.

Web Site Hit Counter