Friday, December 29, 2006

Hard to beat '80 s arcade games


For those of you that remember spending quarters in the 1980's (how many, do you think?) :

"An arcade game is a coin-operated entertainment machine, typically installed in businesses such as restaurants, pubs, video arcades, and Family Entertainment Centers. Most arcade games are redemption games, video games or pinball machines."
Wikipedia

Rampage had up to 3 players including George, Lizzie, and Ralph as characters - designed after great horror monsters of our time. The game is offered (new version) for many new game systems including Wii, and it is RAW! Play it! You can bid on an original game on EBay against the standing $100 bid. The shipping cost might eat you, though.

My brothers and I had many games for the C64 - the best selling computer of all time. It could have taken me all day to post a blog on that relic - if there was a WWW. I never owned the Amiga - still available, but wanted it's 4096 color capability for art.
The C64 was not on the 25 worst tech products of all time - like the Eyetop DVD pack - or it's (dis)honorable mentions list. There might, actually, be collector's items on this list. Check your closet.

4 opinionated prattle:

Stan Harrington said...

I have two of those machines in my video store, filled with gumballs which cost a quarter - but if you get a blue one you get a free video - it is surprising the number of quarters that the machines generate. I have witness people plugging in enough quarters that they could have rented a video cheaper but there is something about a game of chance! Of course thre are those of us the remember the small "juke box" right on the table in your favorite tyeenage hang out. Three songs for a quarter or one for a dime. If you were sharing a "chocolate coke" with a young lady that you wanted to gain her attention, you always spent the big bucks and dropped a quarter. It really impressed them if you also splurged and ordered a basket of french fries, nothing more romantic than a "choclate coke", Elvis singing "Love Me Tender" and a basket of trans fat! Those were the good old days!

john r mclay said...

Quarters are, still, prestigious in today's market. When I tell my kids, "Anyone that volunteers to do the dishes gets the change from my pocket.", They only consider it if quarters are part of the change - no pennies, please. Devyn, actually, would do the dishes without a peep - and LEAVE the change I gave her on the counter! She might be the world's next motivator!

Stan Harrington said...

I have to plow this morning to clean up the aftermath of last evening, however, you are going to have to shovel - just checked the doppler - if you have not looked outside it is snowing and you are going to get dumped on! I will think of you as I am siotting around the fireplace, drinking hot toddies, and catching up on my recently arrived copy of Playboy, I just read the articles and do not look at the pictures. My subscription was a Christmas gift from Santa so it is only right that I read it.

john r mclay said...

Read it, buddy, read it.

Post a Comment

If you feel the incessant urge,
and your tongue is sharp and quick,
leave a worthless thought for me
whether cool, or fun, or sick.

Web Site Hit Counter